ENGLISH SECOND LANGUAGE COMMUNITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

8 Tricky Idioms About Money with Examples and Explanations

Go down

8 Tricky Idioms About Money with Examples and Explanations Empty 8 Tricky Idioms About Money with Examples and Explanations

Post  Vincent Law Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:10 am

Using these 8 tricky idioms about money will make your weekdays funny.

1. “Balance the books” - determine that accounts are in balance, bring the two sides into equilibrium, settle an account by paying what is due
- "The accountant says he can’t balance the books till our last check clears."

2. “Bring home the bacon” – earn a salary, make money for your family
- "When our parents died in an accident, and my sister and I remained alone, I had to leave college and bring home the bacon."

3. “Go Dutch” – share the cost of something
- "When I wanted to settle the bill, she insisted on going Dutch and pay for her meal."

4. “Gravy train” – a source of easy money, a job that pays a lot with little work
- "My brother took up a job in a beach restaurant and hoped to get on board the gravy train, but in fact he had to work more than in a factory."

5. “Nest egg” – savings, money kept in reserve
- "Don’t worry about the job you lost. We have a little nest egg to live on until you find another."

6. “Cook the books” – cheat in accounting, manipulate financial records
- "Nobody noticed that one of the managers was cooking the books until the company got totally bankrupt."

7. “Golden handshake”
– a (large) sum of money paid to an employee when he/she leaves the firm
- "Grandfather didn’t really want to retire too early, but he couldn’t resist the golden handshake that the company offered."

8. “Cheapskate” – somebody who doesn’t like to spend money
- "We would need a new fridge, but my husband is such a cheapskate that I don’t think we’ll buy one before the other completely falls apart."

8 Tricky Idioms About Money with Examples and Explanations Money-10

http://www.myenglishteacher.eu/blog/8-tricky-idioms-about-money-with-examples-and-explanations-infographic/
Vincent Law
Vincent Law
Advanced Fluency
Advanced Fluency

Back to top Go down