ENGLISH SECOND LANGUAGE COMMUNITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SYNONYMS - How to Use Synonyms

Go down

SYNONYMS - How to Use Synonyms Empty SYNONYMS - How to Use Synonyms

Post  Vincent Law Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:32 am

When you create sentences, you can make them more interesting by using words that mean the same as the word you are speaking about. This allows you to add variety to your vocabulary. Here are some tips to use synonyms properly.

Instructions:
1. Use synonyms to add flavor to your writing. Your writing can sound boring if you use the same words over and over.

2. Fix the following sentence by changing the second word house to home. For example, "I live in a nice house and my house is in Canada." Change the second house to home and the sentence sounds much better. "I live in a nice house and my home is in Canada."

3. Exchange common nouns for a synonym when you want to be more specific. For example, you talk about a dance in a sentence like the following sentence: I like to dance every weekend. You can be more specific if you say "I like to waltz every weekend."

Check the meaning of the synonyms you use in a dictionary so you don't use the wrong word by accident.

5. Use a thesaurus to pick synonyms to enhance your writing. Look up the word you want to change and choose from the list of synonyms.

6. Find a thesaurus online or in a word processing program if you are writing on a computer. Open Microsoft Word. Select your word, click "Tools" on the menu bar at the top of your screen and choose "Language" and "Thesaurus." The computer will present you with a list of words you can substitute for your own word. Choose from the list to switch words.

SYNONYMS - How to Use Synonyms 14-edr10

http://www.ehow.com/how_2238467_use-synonyms.html
Vincent Law
Vincent Law
Advanced Fluency
Advanced Fluency

Back to top Go down