ENGLISH SECOND LANGUAGE COMMUNITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Difference between In and Inside

Go down

Difference between In and Inside Empty Difference between In and Inside

Post  Vincent Law Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:55 am

‘In’ and ‘Inside’ are words that are more or less synonymous as prepositions, and can be used in most cases interchangeably. There is a subtle difference, however, which explains why ‘inside’ cannot replace ‘i
n’ in phrases like ‘in the thick of it’.

‘Inside’
is generally used to contrast with ‘outside’; therefore, it carries with it the strong suggestion of being physically enclosed. For example, to say ‘We were inside Russia’ sounds wrong, doesn’t it? This is because there is sense of being surrounded by walls, or tangible boundaries on all sides, when one says one is ‘inside’ something. It is almost strictly locative, which in grammar/linguistics refers to words that indicate location. For example, to say ‘The clothes are inside the cupboard’ sounds correct.

On the other hand, ‘in’ is used more generally; it carries no such suggestion. To go ‘in’ can mean simply to participate in something (I’m in the group), or to be at a place (I’m in Chennai); it does not conjure images of enclosures or walls, or being physically surrounded.

Difference between In and Inside Packag10

http://www.englishleap.com/common-mistakes/in-and-inside
Vincent Law
Vincent Law
Advanced Fluency
Advanced Fluency

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum