ENGLISH SECOND LANGUAGE COMMUNITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IDIOM: To "speak your mind"

Go down

IDIOM: To "speak your mind" Empty IDIOM: To "speak your mind"

Post  Vincent Law Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:04 am

Idiom: "To speak your mind"

To be honest to people about your opinions, to say exactly what you think or feel.
Ex: "She's not afraid to speak her mind, even if it upsets people." - "She's not afraid to speak her mind, even if it upsets people."

"To speak one's mind":
Fig. to say frankly what one thinks (about something).
Ex: "Please let me speak my mind, and then you can do whatever you wish." "You can always depend on John to speak his mind. He'll let you know what he really thinks."

IDIOM: To "speak your mind" Think_10
Vincent Law
Vincent Law
Advanced Fluency
Advanced Fluency

Back to top Go down

IDIOM: To "speak your mind" Empty Re: IDIOM: To "speak your mind"

Post  Vincent Law Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:07 am

John Mayor sang, “Say what you need to say.” But, in the context of an organization, you need to be careful before you say what you need to say. You’ll have to consider:

- What you say.
- Whether what you say is important or not.
- When you say it.
- To whom you say.
- And, finally how you say it.

Everything you speak about may not be all that important. Does a minor issue need to be voiced out? Another important factor is timing. Perhaps you’re really freaked out before undertaking a particular assignment. Should you voice out your fear at the moment you’re afraid? Or should you wait until you’ve accomplished the task. You could later tell your colleagues how afraid you really were. The next important factor to consider is to whom you say. If you have a problem then normally in an organization it’s the line manager. Voicing your concerns to every other person is not the wisest thing to do. Finally, how you say what you have to say makes a big difference. For example, if a person from another department asks you for your help and you’re really busy then you can say, “No, I’m busy. I won’t help.” Or you can be more subtle and say, “I’d love to help you but my buckets are full. So, I’m really sorry I can’t help you this time.”

Being a professional means you learn the correct way of saying the right thing at the right time to the right person and in a right way.

http://kreetileads.blogspot.com/2012/02/think-before-you-speak.html
Vincent Law
Vincent Law
Advanced Fluency
Advanced Fluency

Back to top Go down