ENGLISH SECOND LANGUAGE COMMUNITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CAPITALIZATION

Go down

CAPITALIZATION Empty CAPITALIZATION

Post  Vincent Law Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:34 am

CAPITALIZATION A10

Capital letters are used for two main purposes in English:

- to show the beginning of a sentence
- to show that a noun is a proper noun.

The first letter of every new sentence is capitalized.
For example: "The postman delivered the parcel. It was very heavy."

The pronoun I is always capitalized.
For example: "My name is Lynne, I am a teacher."

Proper nouns ( also called proper names) are the words which name specific people, organizations or places. They always start with a capital letter.
For example, each part of a person's name is a proper noun:
"Lynne Hand - Elizabeth Helen Ruth Jones ..."

The names of companies, organizations, newspapers or trade marks: "Microsoft - Rolls Royce - the Round Table - the Times - WWW..."

Given or pet names of animals: "Lassie - Champion - Trigger - Skippy - Sam..."

The names of cities and countries and words derived from those proper nouns such as languages "Paris - London - New York - England - English - French..."

Geographical and Celestial Names: "the Red Sea - Alpha Centauri - Mars - the River Thames..."

Particular places such as streets, monuments, buildings, meeting rooms: "Manvers Road (the road), the Taj Mahal - the Eiffel Tower (the tower) - Room 222 (the room)..."

Historical events, documents, acts, and specific periods of time: "the Civil War - the Declaration of Independence - the Freedom of Information Act - World War I..."

Months, days of the week, holidays and special days: "December - Monday - Christmas - Valentine's Day..."
(note seasons are not capitalized spring - summer - autumn - winter)

Religions, deities, scriptures: "Christ - God - Jehovah - Mohammed - Christianity - Islam - Judaism - the Bible - the Koran - the Torah..."

Awards, vehicles, vehicle models and names, brand names: "the Nobel Peace Prize - the Scout Movement - Ford Focus - the Bismarck - Kleenex - Hoover..."

!Note - You don't need to capitalize the name of any currency in English.

http://www.learnenglish.de/grammar/capitaltext.htm
Vincent Law
Vincent Law
Advanced Fluency
Advanced Fluency

Back to top Go down

CAPITALIZATION Empty Re: CAPITALIZATION

Post  Vincent Law Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:50 pm

Capitalization of words can often be tricky and confusing. A good rule of thumb is that words are capitalized if they are unique persons, places, or things, or if, in a title, they are important. Of course, all sentences begin with a capital letter, as well.

Proper nouns and proper adjectives are always capitalized.

CAPITALIZATION Capita10
Vincent Law
Vincent Law
Advanced Fluency
Advanced Fluency

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum