ENGLISH SECOND LANGUAGE COMMUNITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Miscellaneous Tips

Go down

Miscellaneous Tips Empty Miscellaneous Tips

Post  Vincent Law Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:20 am

Why is it important to know whether a sentence is simple, compound, or complex?

I believe a writer must know how to define simple, compound, and complex sentences before using them consciously. To me, that's so obvious it hardly needs stating.

Once a writer knows how to write a simple sentence, it is possible to apply strict mechanical "rules" for writing both compound and complex sentences. And with just these three sentence types, it is possible to write good essays, with good sentence variety, perfectly acceptable for academic work.

Last edited by Vincent Law on Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vincent Law
Vincent Law
Advanced Fluency
Advanced Fluency

Back to top Go down

Miscellaneous Tips Empty Re: Miscellaneous Tips

Post  Vincent Law Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:35 pm

Some Tips for Dealing with Grammar Myths

English can be troublesome.
It’s not wrong to split infinitives.
It’s not wrong to end a sentence with a preposition.
It’s not wrong to use “that” to refer to a person (e.g., the man that bought my car).
It’s not wrong to treat “data” as singular.
The trouble is that a lot of people believe all those things (and more) are wrong. I hear from them every time I give a radio interview, and it’s a problem I face every day when I give people advice. Do I tell them the real rule (“data” can be singular or plural) when it could get them in trouble with their boss or teacher who may be misinformed? People come to me for advice because they don’t want to get in trouble; they don’t want to be perceived as being wrong. I want to give them the answers they need, but I also don’t want to support or reinforce grammar myths.
The best solution I’ve come up with is to explain the modern, accepted positions (it’s fine to end a sentence with a preposition), but also to warn people that even though language experts say such things are fine, many people in the real world never get that far. They believe what they were taught as children and have never investigated whether those “rules” are right or wrong, or they don’t accept that language changes over time. I want my readers to know that it’s fine to split infinitives, but also to recognize that they don’t have to split infinitives and sometimes it’s safest not to.

By: Mignon Fogarty
http://blog.grammarly.com/post/27388331628/some-tips-for-dealing-with-grammar-myths

Miscellaneous Tips Tumblr10
Vincent Law
Vincent Law
Advanced Fluency
Advanced Fluency

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincent Law Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:31 am

Why Watch Movies in English?

1. Improve your listening skills.
2. Improve your pronunciation.
3. Improve your understanding of spoken English.
4. Learn lots of new vocabulary.
5. It's fantastic to watch movies in their original language!

Miscellaneous Tips Learn-10
Vincent Law
Vincent Law
Advanced Fluency
Advanced Fluency

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down