ENGLISH SECOND LANGUAGE COMMUNITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VOCABULARY - Classroom Vocabulary

Go down

VOCABULARY - Classroom Vocabulary Empty VOCABULARY - Classroom Vocabulary

Post  Vincent Law Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:07 pm

VOCABULARY - Classroom Vocabulary Classr10

- Brainstorm: to collectively or individually think of as many ideas about a certain topic as possible — e.g., “If we all brainstorm, I’m sure that we can think of something.”

- Back out of: to decide not to do something that was originally arranged — e.g., “I’m going to have to back out of it tonight, I have too much homework.”

- Carry on with: to continue to do something — e.g., “We should carry on with our readings.”

- Catch up: to work harder in order to make up lost time and be at the same place as another person — e.g., “I will have to read all night to catch up to the rest of the class.”

- Come up with: to create an idea — e.g., “I came up with the idea for the essay while on the subway.”

- Cram: to study last minute, almost desperately; often done the night before a test — e.g., "I've been focusing so much on my other exams that I'll have to cram for my last one."

- Fail: to flunk; to not receive at least 50% as a grade on an assignment or class; to not meet expectations — e.g., “I think I’m going to fail the mid-term test.”

- Pop Quiz: a surprise test, often only a small percentage of your grade — e.g., "When the prof said 'Clear off your desk and take out a blank piece of paper', I knew we were having a pop quiz."

- To skip (1): to leave out or omit something — e.g., “Let’s skip this chapter.”

- To skip (2): deliberately not going to class — e.g., “Let’s not go today, let’s skip.” (Skipping is bad. You should never do it.)

- Study group: a group of people that work together on a project or for the purpose of helping each other prepare for a test — e.g., "Would you like to be part of a study group I've formed to prepare for the final exam?"

http://www.cie.utoronto.ca/Programs/English-Communication-Program/Useful-English-Tips.htm#Classroom_vocab
Vincent Law
Vincent Law
Advanced Fluency
Advanced Fluency

Back to top Go down