ENGLISH SECOND LANGUAGE COMMUNITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Synonyms for 'Happy'

Go down

Synonyms for 'Happy' Empty Synonyms for 'Happy'

Post  Vincent Law Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:22 pm

The use of synonyms for happy is not a very common practice. There are some synonyms of happy that are frequently used. I feel blessed, but blessed is more a synonym of lucky than happy. “How are you? I can’t complain.” You might hear that every now and then, but when was the last time you heard I am blissful, I am chirpy, I am exultant, I am peppy or I am merry?

Some of the more common synonyms for happy include content, contented, delighted, ecstatic, jolly, joyful, on cloud nine, overjoyed, pleasant, pleased, thrilled, tickled pink, upbeat or walking on air. She is a pleasant baby, I am on cloud nine, he is a very pleasant person, I am tickled pink, we are overjoyed with the results are a few common uses of synonyms for happy that you might hear.

Some of the more uncommon synonyms for happy include blest, blithe, captivated, chipper, convivial, elated, flying high, gay, glad, gleeful, gratified, intoxicated, jubilant, light, lively, mirthful, peaceful, peppy, playful, sparkling, sunny, tickled or up. As these synonyms are not very common hearing them sounds unfamiliar and foreign. He spoke with a blithe ignorance on the matter. The PTA meeting is usually a convivial event. She has a very playful aura about her. He has a sparkling attitude towards his work. His mother was always jubilant when discussing her children.

Still more uncommon synonym for happy are satisfied, alive, carefree, exuberant, hearten, fulfilling, pacifying, beaming, gladsome, glorious, gleaming, euphoric, mellow and optimistic. The results made the committee very optimistic in regard to the direction they are pursuing. Tom was euphoric when he got his acceptance letter to university. Every time I see him he is gladsome.

Finally there are some particularly uncommon synonyms for happy. The happy synonyms are elysian, halcyon, riant, felicitous and paradisiacal. These synonyms are not used very much. One of the reasons these synonyms are not used much is because the goal of using synonyms in general is to communicate. To communicate your verbal statements must be understood. Most of the uncommon synonyms for happy are either not understood or do not sound comfortable when used.

Finally there are some particularly uncommon synonyms for happy. The happy synonyms are elysian, halcyon, riant, felicitous and paradisiacal. These synonyms are not used very much. One of the reasons these synonyms are not used much is because the goal of using synonyms in general is to communicate. To communicate your verbal statements must be understood. Most of the uncommon synonyms for happy are either not understood or do not sound comfortable when used.

When using synonyms for happy make sure you audience understands the synonyms. Ensure you feel comfortable using the synonyms and make sure they convey the spirit of your communication.

Synonyms for 'Happy' Happy10

http://jorng.com/tutorpaul/learn/synonyms/synonyms-for-happy
Vincent Law
Vincent Law
Advanced Fluency
Advanced Fluency

Back to top Go down